Fortezza da Basso
- Viale Filippo Strozzi, 1
- 055 49721
A masterpiece of the Renaissance architecture, the Fortezza da Basso – or of St. John the Baptist, as a tribute to the Patron Saint of Florence
was planned by Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane, commissioned by Alessandro de’ Medici, the first Duke of Florence, and built between 1534 and 1536. The Fortezza has been the main Congress & Exhibition Center venue for Florence and for central Italy since 1967, being strategically located in the historic city centre.