Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella
- Via della Scala, 16
- 055 216276
Florence’s Officina Profumo - Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella is Europe’s oldest apothecary’s shop. The pharmacy of the Dominican convent first opened its doors to the public in 1612, although the Dominican Friars, who had settled in Florence, had been studying and experimenting with the aromatic plants grown in the convent’s vegetable garden and preparing medications for the small infirmary since 1221. All products are strictly made by using natural basic ingredients. All production stages are performed at the Florentine factory, based on the recipes and artisan methods handed down by the Dominican Friars. Today, in addition to the company’s historic products, such as the Rose Water, the Acqua di S.M. Novella fragrance, Vellutina Soap, Idralia cream and the Potpourri, the shop offers a number of products specifically designed for contemporary needs.